Sunday, May 7, 2023

Bridge Farmers - Frater Achad

BRIDGE FARMERS is a heavy psychedelic/stoner/doom metal band from Texas who have been active since 2006.  Despite that, this is my first time of hearing of them...and I'm kicking myself for not finding out about them sooner!  

'Frater Achad' is the first single from their upcoming album 'Cosmic Trigger,' which is due out this year on May 19th thru Olde Magick Records.  After experiencing this first song, I definitely can't wait to hear what the rest of the album will bring.

The song immediately begins with the fuzz smacking me right in the face---may the fuzz be with you, indeed.  The bass is just one of many standout elements, however.  The riffs are thick, groovy and exemplifies why doom metal of this style is so damn catchy and easy to like.  The drums are rock solid too, holding down a smoke filled foundation while bringing the best out of the songs through interesting beats.  The vocals are clean, filtered and hazy but there isn't any other I'd have it for this style.  At various points in the song, their vocalist screams/shouts and the production gives him just the right amount of echo.  A very cool detail that I found enjoyable and I don't even get high!  

The guitar solo near the end is pure trippy psych that brings up the fuzzy gloom by turning it inside out. As the song ends, a long heavy note rides out to a fade to black, leaving my head buzzing.

All in all, if trippy fuzzed out stoner doom is your thing (and why wouldn't it be?), this is a song you need to hear and an album you need to make your calendar for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment