Monday, March 11, 2024

Sonata Arctica - Clear Cold Beyond

Sonata Arctica are a metal band from Finland who formed in 1999.  Their style fits firmly into power metal but has progressive elements as well.  Their latest album, “Clear Cold Beyond,” is their 11th studio album.  


Sonata Arctica will always have a special place in my metal heart.  After I finally grew out of my hard rock/nu-metal phase in my younger years, SA were one of the first real metal bands I discovered. I could never even begin to guess how many times I listened to their first four albums—I would be surprised if those CDs still worked, that were so worn out by me.


But as I dived deeper into power metal, and other genres, the band fell by the wayside and I stopped keeping up with them after "Unia", which I found to be a solid album but not quite up the level of the previous four.  I dived back into them years later and caught up on the three albums I missed:  "The Days of Grays”, “Stones Grow Her Name”, and “Pariah’s Child”.  


Days…”, much like “Unia” , was solid.  “Stones….” I found it to be awful and never gave it more than a few listens.  “Pariah’s Child” picked it back up for me but still had a few clunkers.  But I stuck with the band from there on out…and was disappointed each time.  “The Ninth Hour” was back to the low point that I thought they climbed out of.  “Talviyo” dug them further into the hole.  I'm not even going to t the “Ecliptica” remake.  


So now I find myself reviewing “Clear Cold Beyond” and it took me a while to collect my thoughts.  Do I still like this band?  Is it just nostalgia that has kept me by their side despite my personal disappointments with them for the last decade?  Is this album good because it is really good or am I just happy it’s better than any album since “The Days Of Grays?"


As a fan, I’m not sure I can answer any of those questions yet.  But as a reviewer, I went into this album with an open mind.  Despite what they meant to me when I was younger, the band has, ultimately, disappointed me as much as they have made me happy. So I think it is safe to say I'm far removed from being an average fanboy to take a mature look at this.


I will be clear on one thing: I don’t think it is a return to glory days.  Because I’m not sure what that means.  Sonata Arctica have always been one to take risks.  So  Despite how good this album actually is, I don’t want to say it is a return to form.   Instead, it is what it is: a damn good album.  Does it touch anything from their first four albums?  Not exactly but that was another lifetime ago and SA are never a band to repeat themselves.  But, like I mentioned, it is their best album since 2012.  To come back from the brink over eleven years later is no easy feat and the band must be commanded for it.  Several of the songs would fit right at home on their early stuff.  Other songs wouldn’t but they are still very well written.  


A lot of different outlets have been proclaiming this is a “return to form” and “brings back the fast songs.”  What is form, really?  I’m more concerned with them writing good songs than I am them returning to some supposed form.  These songs are good.  That’s all that matters.  As for them being fast?  It seems most people have forgotten but Sonata Arctica were never a band that only played fast songs.  “Silence” and “Winterhearts Guild” were most slow to mid pace songs.  I don’t care about a band’s tempo—again, are the songs GOOD?


First In Line,” begins the album with a rumbling of drums and heavy guitar before their famous keys kick in and propel the song forward.  This is a quick, jaunty and catchy song that will appeal to anyone who discovered them so long ago.  Tony’s voice has held up nicely but the whole band is firing on all cylinders.  This is easily one of the best songs they have done in years.  


Shah Mat,” begins with clean keys and a chant/choir type of vocal style before the guitars kick into an impressive string of heavy, rapid riffs.  Sonata Arctica have always been at their best when their songs are heavy because there is just something profound about Tony’s amazing clean singing over music that is much more aggressive than it should be.  It is a contrast that has always worked for them. 


A Cure For Everything,” is another rager but this one balances melody very well for a classic sounding song that would probably be a hit live.  The drums are fast, crisp, and make the song vibrant.  Tony’s performance is outstanding and his vocal rhythm/cadence remain ultra catchy.


Teardrops,” has a thick sound to it, the riffs are low and the tempo is slightly slower than the songs before.  But it remains heavy and, once again, Tony’s performance is great.  Throughout this album he shows he has attained renewed energy not only in his songwriting but in his vocal abilities as well. 


 Unfortunately, there is one song that I can’t get into.  “The Best Things,” is just something that I haven’t grasped yet.  I can’t tell you why—it doesn’t really do anything wrong.  But for whatever reason, it just isn’t standing out to me.


But the final song, and title track, ends the album on a high note.  Although heavy,  it is slower paced and methodical.  It reminds me of their Silence/Winterhearts Guild era where turning down the tempo can be just as effective as playing full speed.  Tony’s performance here is one of the best he has done.


All in all, “Clear Cold Beyond,” is a band that has found their confidence and vigor again.  The songs are heavy, catchy, and have a melancholic but melodic atmosphere.  Any fans that jumped ship would do well to get back on board.  Welcome back, Sonata Arctica.  




No comments:

Post a Comment