Saturday, June 8, 2024

Holycide - Towards Idiocracy

Holycide is a thrash metal band from Spain who formed in 2004.  Their latest album is “Towards Idiocracy” is their third full-length album; they have also released a demo and two EPs.

The members of the bands are made up of alumni for the metal underground. In particular,  vocalist Dave Rotten is most noticeably involved in such bands as Avulsed, Christ Denied, and Decrapted.  Bassist Vicente PayĆ”, also in Decrapted, ahas his hands in Bis•nte and Golgotha (who are aboutto release their own really solid album).  

With a pedigree like that, Holycide’s “Towards Idiocracy” should be a total banger of an album right?  Damn right.  In fact, I am 100% confident that, as of the writing of this review, this album is the best thrash metal album I’ve heard all year.  

It, of course, has influence from the 80’s scene but it is more than that.  It isn’t trapped in a bygone era as it forges its own sound.  It is oftentimes quite a bit more dense and extreme that most of other 80’s thrash worship.  The production/mix job is so much better than much of what I’ve heard for the genre this year–it actually sounds good and, not only that, but also vibrant and full. 

Musically, it has all the hallmarks of the genre: blazing riffs, shredding guitar solos, and a DIY attitude. However, it has a modern atmosphere to it—I don’t feel like I’m listening to some tired of washed up band trying to capture the glory days.  This feels genuine, important, and urgent.

And the vocals are actually worth listening to.  Rotten doesn’t sound like a rabid racoon vomiting up a small child it just ate while its nuts are being squeezed. His vocals ride the line between a gruff clean and death metal snarl and it all works perfectly. 

The album opens with the bombastic explosion that is “A.I. Supremacy,” and it’s immediate attack upon the senses.  From the first second to the last, the rhythm guitar barrels forth like there isn’t a tomorrow.  The simple but effective chorus captures the essence of the song and was stuck in my head for a few days.  I walked around growling “A.I. Supremacy” and my family thought I was insane.  

The riffs at the 1:25 mark are head banging to the extreme, a wave of energy that grows into a rampant guitar solo that’s so sharp it could cut through steel.  

Remote Control,” features riffs that are more intricate but still providing a fast paced thrash groove that never lets up.  The bass in particular stands out, especially in how it compliments the vocals and riffs. The riffs are just slightly melodic enough to be engaging, as is the guitar solo at the song’s halfway point.  The riffs just afterwards made me want to body slam myself against my wall–some of the best on the album.

The tight, crisp, drumming of “Power Corrupts,” leads the charge for what is a song that lends towards death thrash and I’m all here for it.  One of the heavier songs on the album, the main riff is meaty as hell.  The song ramps up the energy constantly as the seconds tick through and by the end I felt as if it was going to actually explode and destroy my headphones (and my head).

The vocals get their time to shine in “Angry For Nothing,” one of the more standout songs on the album.  I love the opening growls and the brutal thrash attack from the instrumental portion.  This song is intense as hell and possibly my favorite on the album. 2:20 to 2:30 contains more intensity than some entire albums do!  The guitar solo blazes through, the rhythm underneath just going for broke.

The final song, “Flamethrower’em All,” is another of my favorites on the album. The cadence of the vocals and rhythm are infectious but it’s the pervasiveness of the bass and drums that really catch my ears. The guitar solo is imaginative, starting and ending melodic but shredding in the middle.  

All in all, Holycide’s “Towards Idiocracy” is a highlight for the thrash metal genre in 2024 and any other band wanting to try and take them down better take notes first.  This is one beastly album that isn’t going to be dethroned easily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment