Monday, August 12, 2024

Tsatthoggua - We Are God

Tsatthoggua is a black metal band who formed way back in 1993.  Their third full length album, “We Are God,” is their first album in 26 years!  I love it when “old” bands make a comeback to show everyone how it is done.  

Of course, I was 10 years old when the band formed so I missed them the first time around.  Dammit, why did I miss my shot at being exposed to sadomasochism-themed blasphemous black metal at such a young age?


Seriously though, this album completely destroys.  I’m not into sadomasochism and, according to the band’s bandcamp page, the album is “aimed at all the perverted black sad-crazies out there.”  Well, I’m not into any of that but I am definitely into extreme metal so, while I may not be the specific target audience for this madness, I enjoy it all the same. 


The production/mix is impressive.  Due to the album, lyrics, and style, I just assumed the overall sound of the album would be akin to melted, hot garbage.  I’m happy to report that, while it’s definitely not a clean production, it sounds a lot better than “recorded from a poo explosion in a Taco Bell bathroom stall.”  


The tone of the riffs is vicious, a classic black metal feel to them—-pure, unadulterated evil. The drums are lighting quick but crisp and clean.  Their brutal sharpness constantly highlights the viciousness of the music while holding down a strong foundation. 


The length of the album is perfect as well—9 songs across a 42 minute runtime.  It really doesn’t get any better than that; it’s short enough to want to listen multiple times but not too long where it wears out its welcome. 


Master Morality,” is a full speed ahead within a few seconds.  The riff based song is pummeling, the drums and bass adding in a death metal intensity.  The vocals are snarling and explosive–not too deep nor too high pitched.  Layered guitar near the end adds what I suppose could be melody but it’s dark as the rest of the music and brings out its dynamics.


The Doom-Scrawl of Taran-Ish,” sounds like it would be arcane and violent…and it is, to say the least.  The first half of the song is highlighted by voracious drums and a frightening vocal performance.  After the halfway point, the guitars take a groove laden approach sounding not unlike Old Man’s Child.  This part is very catchy, I love how well the drums accent the riffs. 


The later half of the album keeps the same intensity, never slowing down other than stopping and admiring the results of its murderous rampage.  “True Black Love,” has a huge chorus that was stuck in my  head for a while.  Some of the best riffs are on this song, especially around the midpoint.  The later half kicks up the intensity and finishes the song out strongly.


The band isn’t always about speed, however.  The mid paced groove of “Gloria Extasia,” proves that a song doesn’t always have to be complicated or reinvent the wheel.  With the right mindset and the drive for extremity, sick riffs and blast beats is all you need. One of my favorites on the album and, again, quite catchy.  Should a black metal album be catchy?  Yes. 


The final song, “Pechmarie” is the most insane one, crazy leads ripping through the super fast music that threatened to blow my headphones off my head.  Just when I thought the song couldn’t go any more hard, it does and then goes beyond even that.  Blistering to the tenth degree. 


Tsatthoggua’s “We Are God,” is a profane ride through carnal pleasures and blasphemous views that will surely please even the most cynical black metal fan, which is probably all of them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment