Abysmal Growls of Despair - Torn
Abysmal Growls of Despair is a one-man funeral doom metal band from France that formed in 2014; musician Hangsvart is the mastermind behind the project. This latest release, “Torn,” is his 28th full-length album, among numerous EP’s and splits! While I do have the second full-length album, “Dark Days,” I wasn’t aware there were so many others. I definitely have some listening to do!
According to the Bandcamp page, “Torn,” is an album that explores ‘the emotional landscape of a husband caring for his wife battling cancer. It is a testament to love and resilience.” I’m not sure if the husband is Hangsvart, the album was written for a personal acquaintance, or if it's just a story created for the album. Regardless, this is definitely a very emotional experience. I like the idea that the album doesn’t necessarily focus only on the despair and hopelessness that cancer so obviously brings but rather the human spirit that can still thrive in such an environment.
The production and mix really helps bring this album to life. The virtual tubas, trombones and drums share their space with the 8 strong guitar and vocals in a way that allows every element to breathe and be heard. Music this dense definitely needs this because the subtleties need to be fully absorbed.
Check out the opening of “Prologue to Agony.” The riffs and the keys (I don’t know if these ‘virtual’ instruments are some kind of computer program or played on some badass keyboard so for sake of my own sanity, I’m just going to call them keys) are of one, huge movement of sound that hits low and heavy–--hanging in the musical atmosphere while the growls push their way through. It’s all very convincing and doesn’t at all feel like its forced or some random excuse to be foreboding—this feels very real and true to what life sometimes has to offer.
“Growth,” is monolithic in its tone. From the very first second, I sort of felt this weird sort of trepidation that’s mixed with a final resignation. The middle passage is as deep as the ocean black and one of the more frightening intense passages of music on the whole album. The slow chopping effect of the riffs has the feel of an ever approaching event, one that can never be changed and forces itself to be confronted.
“Mourning Has Broken,” feels desperate and clawing to the point of near horror. This is a scary song, one that I could see bringing me to my knees in the right circumstances. Anyone who doubts the power of doom, funeral or otherwise, needs to dive into this song. You can go deep as you want but the question is, will you? Can you face the horror? Around the 7:32 mark the tempo picks up very, very (very) slightly and the ride gets a bit violent before settling back into its dark, sprawling universe.
The title track is just over 14 and a half minutes in length, and I think it might be my favorite. It’s such a well written song that hits all the sweet spots of the album. Drone, ambience, doom…it all gets equal time as the song builds slowly but steadily. The vocals after the 10-minute mark are insane, spine chilling. The last minute or so is like a battering ram, a constant hammering of riffs and drums that will eventually tear down all the walls.
It is really hard to review music like this because its very nature demands patience and intimacy on a level that is hard to put into words. With that being said, “Torn,” represents funeral doom exactly how it needs to be: ridiculously slow, suffocating, raw, and atmospheric. I absolutely love music like this and as far as I’m concerned, “Torn” has placed itself among my favorite doom metal albums of the year.

Comments
Post a Comment