Epta7 - Here Come the Freaks

I don't know much about industrial metal other than the big bands like Fear Factory, Ministry, and Mechina. I don't have anything against the genre (although I don't like Ministry at all)--I'm just not familiar with it.

So a band like Epta7 and their album "Here Come the Freaks" is quite a bit outside my wheelhouse. With that being said, this is a solid release that's intense enough in places to make a metalhead like me pay attention.

The production is super clean with a bright and shiny sheen to it. For this style, I'd say this sound/mix is exactly what is needed. I mean, this isn't black metal or hellish brutal death so I don't see how a more raw approach would benefit this album anyway.

Despite being industrialized, the music is surprisingly heavy with the songs leaning towards riff based structures as opposed to random bullshit noises (which I was afraid I would hear).

It is of special note that this is one of the most catchy albums I've heard this year. Every song has a hook and there aren't any that are bad. 

The vocals have a lot of energy, too. I figured that even if I didn't like this musically, maybe the vocals would grab me. The vocalist uses a combination of clean vocals and screams/growls and it works very well by adding a massive layer of metal crushing power. There are some female cleans spread throughout and those also sound excellent.

The album opens with the “The Fog,” and some very slick, ear-worm riffs. The drums compliment the music well—I don't know if they are real or programmed but, either way, they are written well and integrate into the music in a big way. The vocals and riffs on this banger of an opening track compliment each other well. 

Even among songs that stick in the head, “Kartoffeln,” is one that is hard to leave the brain. The cadence of the vocals have an incredible flow while the drums and riffs create huge waves of energy they ride upon. Oh and the chorus? Infectious as hell.

I don't know what an “Eptasystem” is but the song hits like a ton of bricks. The chorus features a wild scream that pushes it into the stanza, which are laced with simple but dense riffs that are hypnotic in their trance-like devastation.

The title track has some of the best riffs on the album. The drums hit very hard—definitely one of the heaviest songs on the album. The guitars are a bit more intricate here and have a balanced sound that inject just enough melody without taking away from the intensity. 

The final song, “Moon Canvas,” is one of my favorites on the album. The vocals are impressive and I like the nonstop riffage and the drums that bolster it all up.

All in all, Epta7 have crafted a catchy industrial metal album with "Here Come the Freaks," that has a lot of appeal to fans of both styles. Give this a chance like I did and you'll find it a worthwhile dark horse. 

Rating: Solid


 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hexecutioner - Tornit

Devil Moon Risen - Fissure of Men

Grindeye - Bloom