Rodtgod - Tales from Beyond the Tomb

Rodtgod is a one-man sludge/doom metal band from Germany, who formed in 2016.  The project’s latest release, “Tales from Beyond the Tomb,” is their third full-length album; they have also released an EP.  The musician behind this is simply called, as far as I know, C and has a couple other bands (Galvornhathol, Pissbucket) that I am not familiar with. 

I get a lot of promos—a lot.  Over the years, I have trained myself to know when I need to give up on a particular one or if it feels like a grower.  When I first listened to “Tales from Beyond the Tomb,” I liked it but also knew that my feelings on it would probably change because it was obvious this is an album that is a bit different and needs more time to soak in.

So, what’s so different about “Tales…?”  Its feet are definitely firmly planted into death/doom and abrasive sludge.  It’s very heavy with some killer extreme vocals.  With that being said, it doesn’t feel oppressive, cavernous, or any other such adjective I would normally use on music of this style.   However, this sounds…. hopeful.  The atmosphere certainly isn’t the life of the party, and no one will confuse this with feel good music but it’s all doom and gloom—-more like doom and dimly lit. 

This is a very melodic album too and you’ll get no complaints from me about this.  By not focusing on endless despair and being heavy for the sake of, the songs are allowed to breathe naturally and sound sincere through its raw approach.  

It’s a balanced album too, in terms of production and mix.  Everything sets right where it needs to be and no strain on the ears will be needed to make out the details.  The drums in particularly sound quite potent, especially in their more raucous moments. 

The opening song, “Hourglass,” is a fine example of what the album has to order.  The clean vocals are filtered and seem like they are coming from some far away place—but trying to break out.  The bass is drenching in fuzz, and this would be a good time to mention there is a big stoner element to the song (and the album in general) but much heavier both musically and emotionally.   I could do without the clean vocals, if I’m just being honest, but they certainly aren’t bad.  Thankfully, the growls are much better and sound amazing.   After the 4-and-a-half-minute mark, the song is pure fire with a wonderfully catchy, melodic solo and moments of pure headbanging bliss. 

I like the intro to “Waters,” a lot with its clean beginning that feels both stripped down and ethereal.  The slow grooves that make up the skeleton of the song are written well, acting as a steady drive.  The growls get really deep in this one but work with the riffs which expertly balance heavy and melodic moments in a surprisingly catchy way. 

The album works just as effectively when the band offers a more biting attack, such as in “Night Terrors Morning Horrors,” which is one of the most intense songs on the album.  But even among the caustic riffs and vicious growls, the band retains their grip on their unique atmosphere.  The drums are very impressive across this song too, especially near the end. 

Adiabatic,” is one of my favorites on the album because it hits all the sweet spots of their sound.  The beginning and ending minutes are atmospheric and ghostly but everything in the middle is pummeling but still incorporates some slick guitar in the form of a couple epic guitar solos.

The final song is strangely titled, “Unfathomable Duck Invocation of the Mighty Space-Newt.”  I didn’t have duck & space amphibian themed doom on by 2026 bingo card but, fuck it, here we are.  The first half of the song is information about ducks, and the second half is atmospheric doom with duck quacks.  I don’t do drugs but if I did, I probably wouldn’t make it through this one.  But I’m right here for it and it’s compelling despite how obvious left field it is.

Rodtgod’s “Tales from Beyond the Tomb,” is a doom metal album that walks off the beaten path in many ways while still including more than enough of the genre’s roots to convince even the most pessimistic metalhead.  Quack on.  

Rating:  Great











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hexecutioner - Tornit

Devil Moon Risen - Fissure of Men

Grindeye - Bloom