Wyrm Chasm - Wyrm Chasm
Wyrm Chasm is a black metal band from Texas who formed in 2015. This self-titled release is their full-length debut but they also released an EP in 2015 and a split a few years later. I’ve reviewed quite a bit of doom metal lately—but, despite that and the name of the blog, I'm not into just doom. So, let’s dive into some black metal, mmmkay?
I haven’t heard their prior two releases, but this one is a solid debut album, no doubt about it. It captures the visceral nature of black metal but it’s also melodic with a dark tone that’s almost Gothic in a way. I wouldn’t say it’s theatrical, per say, as it’s not an album that takes the symphonic route, but it does have a loud, violent urgency to it that flows very well. The album’s runtime of 40 minutes across eight songs is the sweet spot for the style but, honestly, it doesn’t even feel that long. With all that being said, it isn’t melodic in an obvious Gothenburg way or an overly modern way but it’s there to compliment the more aggressive tones in a very smart, subtle way.
It’s blasphemous to say this and I’m sure upon reading this, blackened occult members will be coming for my organs but I’m glad the production is quite a bit above the level of ‘Norwegian outhouse.” Although it has its place, depending on the band, black metal doesn’t HAVE to use terrible production and mixing values. Simply put, this album sounds amazing. Every instrument has a real weight to it and settles into the mix right where it should be. No ear strain needed to enjoy this black metal!
The album’s tempo is mostly fast, but the band hangs back when needed, particularly to let the atmosphere or melody soak in for a bit before going back to the blast beats. I do like how the riffs aren’t endless tremolo picking and that really helps keep the album interesting.
The opening song, “Netjer,” is everything I want in an introduction: urgent, explosive and to the point. I’m about goddamn exhausted from every album having a short intro track so I’m very glad this is a full, beastly song. The drums are engrossing and compliment the riffs so there is always a double dose of blackened punishment for the earholes.
The echo effect on the vocals is on point without being distracting or taking away from the performance. It’s really potent on “Throned Entropy,” and it doesn’t hurt that the music is a bit more atmospheric than the prior two songs. This song is at its best when the guitar pulls back a bit and takes their time developing their next note while the drums rage in the background. I love it when bands do this. The bass is punishing here too, offering a low end that black metal could always use more of.
The band is just as deadly at taking it slow as they are full speed ahead, as evident in the opening of “Eyes of the Eternal.” It doesn’t last long, however, before the band dives into what ends up being one of the most aggressive songs on the album. It’s seemingly unending, the vocals screaming out from above a barrage of rhythm attacks. There are subtle hints of melody along the way, the band stretching the sound just enough without losing their stalwart foundation.
The final song, “Light at the End,” is the longest one and the most melodic, particularly in the beginning. The bass is fantastic here, peeking out from behind the guitars to add a lot of little details that make the song pop especially in the final couple minutes. This is my favorite song on the album and makes for a grand ending.
Wyrm Chasm have created a solid debut album that will appeal to most black metal fans but, most importantly, I feel it’s a good place to start for people new to the genre. It balances the genre’s tropes very well while also being modern.
Rating: Solid

Comments
Post a Comment