Thorns of Ruins - Stellar Reverence

Thorns of Ruins is a Norwegian extreme metal band, who hit the scene in either 2019 or 2024 with their demo that was titled “Demosongs 2019” that, at least according to Metallum, didn’t release until 2024.  Confusion aside, in 2026, they have now released their second full-length album, “Stellar Reverence.”  Actually, I should talk about ‘them’ in the singular because it’s a one-man band from musician Thomas Aamodt (Ildfar, Sincera, and Wither).  Oh, Ildar have a solid album out too this year, please check it out as well!

This album is my first experience with the band and what I’m hearing is something that is a breath of fresh air.  I haven’t heard anyone who sounds like this band.  Of course, their combination of black, death, and doom is a formula that countless bands have tried but Thorns of Ruin have their own way of doing things. 


This is a raw (ish) album that is one of the more abrasive ones I’ve heard this month.  The vocals in particular are rather disturbing and this blackened element goes a long way in making this album very dark and powerful.  Instrumentally, this album covers a vast area; everything from melodic to brutal riffs can be found here, and all the tempos within that are needed to execute such bastardized music.  It’s quite convincing and, if I’m being totally honest, can even be quite catchy at times despite being as far away from the mainstream as anything I’ve heard this year. 


The atmosphere is my favorite part of the album though.   It has the haunting horror of black metal, the unforgiving nature of death metal, and a stark darkness that embraces doom metal.  On top of all that, it has an uncanny sense of melody without going too far into those realms and removing the raw base. 


The album has an immediate opening with “A Rusted Hanging Sun,” and its ear-catching, gripping melodies.  The rhythm guitars and bass hammer effectively while the drums color the atmosphere with clever patterns. As the vocals chip away at the senses with biting fury, the song gets more intense with riffs that go for days.  The ending is madness, the musical equivalent of falling down a never-ending hole. 


Whereas that song was generous with its melodies, “In Silence,” is a living creature of nightmare fuel.  It still has moments of melodic textures, but the energy is urgent and seemingly endless.  The slower parts remind me of epic Gothic death/doom—this band really knows how and when to place each passage.  They never overdo anything but neither do they rush as with the album as a whole, this song flows just as it should.  The drums are amazing here, handling all the changes with ease and complimenting everything that’s needed to move forward for another part to start. 


Two Steps Away,” is the shortest song on the album and a total burner of a track.  The riffs are super tight, among the best on the album, and I like how they can go from traditional routes to creating a seething atmosphere.  The cadence of the vocals is, at times, more of a speaking style but it works because it’s short, to the point, and full of venom.  The chorus is catchy and I could see this being yelled by a crowd.  


The final song, “Bringer of Flame,” is immediately commanding, with the drums targeting a tempo that’s both open and demanding.  The vocals are at their best here, prolonged screams giving away to furious drums while the guitars leave their own deadly wounds.  This song has an air of sorrow and hopelessness mixed with its abject danger.  The last minute is where the song reaches its heights to a stellar ending.  


I’ve heard a lot of surprising listens this month from bands I’m not familiar with and seemingly coming out of nowhere.  Thorns of Ruins'Stellar Reverence,” is among the top of that heap and I think it’s going to stick with me for some time. 


Rating: Excellent












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hexecutioner - Tornit

Devil Moon Risen - Fissure of Men

Grindeye - Bloom